Saturday, June 23, 2012

Crossing The Judea Mountains

Sunday June 24

While I'm a few posts behind...I figured I would write a little while on the bus. I am currently traveling from Jerusalem to Ramla near Tel Aviv and there are plenty of cars on the road, since it's a work day.

Some people in the group say they heard "bomb" noise last night. I must have slept right through it, like most Israelis. Despite this news (there were some air strikes along the border with Gaza), the country continues to operate, continues to move forward. This is a hard concept to realize as an American who vividly remembers 9/11 As I enter another day in Israel, it's becoming clearer that while in a petty bad location, Israelis are not afraid...or at least they don't express that.

As we drive to our next location before sleeping in a Bedouin tent (no wifi, no outlets), I'm getting the opportunity to see the landscape. Israel's size is often compared to New Jersey...and the landscape should be compared to western New Jersey and Pennsylvania (more to come about Pennsylvania soon). Rolling hills and crop lands. Smart irrigation provides the opportunity for this. I'm also getting a glimpse of some of the 240 million trees planted by JNF since 1901. There are some beautiful forests.

Then again, I must mention the bus lanes, variable speed and message signs, and well-kept pavement on the highways here. :)

About to get off the bus to Ramla/Lod where we will meet the Israeli soldiers who will be joining us for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment